Saturday, February 18, 2006

Is is the heart matters that are important

I was considering the new title I used for my blog. "Free in Christ". That is so true. I realized this, when I think of where God has brought me from. I was in an extremely works based, legalistic religion, and totatlly miserable. I couldn't never be good enough, and I sure hope that Christ did not return for his bride when I was having a bad day, or I'd not make it. That is an awful feeling. It makes your life absolutely horrible. Now, I realize that I am "free in Christ" life is so different. It is now that I realize that it is almost "harder", yet in a different way. You can't just look right on the outside, and do the "right things" and avoid the "wrong things". It all starts with the heart. The closer you are to Christ the more you want to please him, not to please man. It is not a set of "rules" to live by. It makes me think when Paul said, "should we continue in sin, so that grace may abound? God forbid." Does this mean we will never sin? No! God's grace is their for us to rely on. So, you mess up, get up and start over. What I am learning is the heart issues are a much greater calling than any list of rules out there. I can't seem to express what I'm feeling, and trying to get across. I hear someone say, the way to judge your spiritualy maturity is this way. "The distance between sin and repentance". The closer you are to Christ the shorter the distance between sin and repentance. I've also hear it said, in your spiritual walk you may take one step forward, and 2 backwards, 3 steps forward, and 1 step backwards, and so on, as long as you are making progress forward, don't worry about how much. God is still working in your life. (Okay, I probably really butchered that one, but the concept is there). Just a thought I've been thinking.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Melissa...I love the new look of your blog! It's always so uplifting to read of your spiritual journey...and it was great to finally get to see you and the boys at the library!
Keep in touch! Lots of love...

Karen

Heather said...

I agree that it is more difficult...for those of us who see that we have been "freed" from the law. I have some dear friends who have "lists" of what makes them "holy"- mostly outward displays and restrictions on holidays etc. One has cried to me over what she "thinks" is conviction...the only thing I can offer is for her to put it before the Lord. I won't tell someone they have not been convicted about something. Such a difficult topic, but I have learned to love all types though they may judge me.. I can only walk in the light that I have been given...not someone elses.