Sunday, January 21, 2007

Thougts of the day--well just one of them

The other day when we were driving home from church (which is quit a long haul for us--but always well worth it), I read a church sign that said the following: "If you don't like your lot in life, build a service station on it." I couldn't believe it really. I read it to Rob and of course we both just kind of chuckled--the question I ask is this; Is God sovereign or are we? I know I say that alot, but it is my thought. If we can just "build a service station over our lot in life", then why do we need God. If we can fix it ourselves, why bother with God. Then I began to think of the words of one of my favorite songs, It is Well with My Soul. Read the words, listen to the words, think of the story. "Whatever my lot, tho hast taught me to say, it is well, it is well with my soul." Oh, that songs says it all. If we as Christians believe these words, then why then do we say, "just build a service station over it."

I just really don't know how to express what I am feeling at this moment, I just have to say, "whatever my lot....it is well with my soul." Now, I know that my stuggles and trials my seem like nothing compartively speaking, but I do know that God is in control, and HE gives the grace that I need to endure to the end. I can tell you when I totally surrendered to the "complete sovereignty" of God, how humbled I became at my life. The fact that He has chosen to reveal His glorious truth to me and my family. Oh it brings tears to my eyes at the thought. Then, to realize that not only has he chosen to save me now, that I know He holds me in his hand. Safely, and securely in His hand. He will protect me, give me the grace that I need for each and every situation in my life.


I fully believe in the sovereignty of God, I believe that God DOES ordain each step in our lives--good and bad, they are used to bring glory to God. Tooday in church Pastor Charlie read the following verse:

Psalm 139:13-16 (ESV)
13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.

14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.

15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

How awesome it is to think these truths. God knew every part of our lives, before we were even born. God is so big. I just thank God today and everyday, that He has chosen to open my blinded eyes one day and show my all His wonderful truths.

2 comments:

Grafted Branch said...

Hmmmm. Good thoughts, Melissa. But the first thing that came to my mind was the same thing I always tell myself and my children -- if you're unhappy, or in conflict, or otherwise distracted, it is good to pray for, and SERVE with others! I often ask the Lord to help me be ready, available and sensitive to the work He has ordained for me.

Perhaps that's what the sign meant, albeit poorly worded...maybe they meant if you don't like your "lot," you can enjoy it much more if you get about the business of serving the Lord right where He has you. Maybe?

staceyhoff said...

Great post! I have been being taught to be content in whatever circumstance and the dividends of just my meager obdience in disciplining myself, and submitting my soul to God in this area, have been wonderful!! I have never been more happy in my life. Even when I was getting everything I wanted ;) Of course, I have nothing to complain about~ still discontentment really tries to sneak in there. Just that old sin nature. It is so good to face the scriptures each day and be reformed in mind by Christ. Thank God for the Bible!! I love that old hymn, too- All is well with my soul. Do you know 'Arise-Arise! Arise, Arise, My Soul-Arise! Shake off your guilty fears and Rise!' I love that one, too ;)