Friday, August 18, 2006

Family Devotions

This is our family worship devotional book for the time being. We are really enjoying it. It is the catechism based on the Westminster Shorter Catechism in Modern English. It is a great way to teach your children doctrinal truths.
For each question there are 6 days of devotional readings, with scripture referrances and answers. It is for elementary and junior high age children. Which is perfect for our children. Since we have 2nd, 4th and 6th graders.
They boys are learning so much. Some nights are better than others, we have added some prayer time to this, and then tonight we tried to sing the doxology. I say tried, we didn't do a good job at it. The boys really got a kick out of trying to sing a song like that without music. I just think it would be good for them to learn the words to the song. Our prayer for our family is to be in constant reformation in our lives, to become more Christ like each and every day. God is so good. He is working in our family each day.


The boys just got back from Rob's families house. Of course they are all of our former faith family, and very "strong" in their beliefs. The boys had to go to church with them for 3 services. They didn't enjoy it, because they see the self satisfying worship, along with the trusting in their own righteousness. Then to top it off, their grandpa, gave them a hard time. Jordan said he talked about Rob and I not following the "rules". Of course he was referring to the organizations rules, not biblical issues. Jordan said he wanted to tell him, "we do follow the rules, we just follow the Bible." But, he is smart and realized it would have fallen on deaf ears, and he didn't want to provoke him, so he just remained silent. Jordan knows the truth, and the freedom and peace you can have in Christ alone. We no longer have to live in fear that if we die right now, we might not have "earned" our salvation. We may not have been good enough. Our boys, especially Jordan and Austin, understand that we are clothed in Christs righteousness when we believe in our hearts and confess with our mouths the Jesus is Lord.
We do have "rules" ,if you will, to live by, but it is not a man made list. No list made by man is long enough to make us right in God's eyes. If our account has not been made right by Christ we are lost, nothing good that we can do will ever take that place.

Austin has a very sensitive spirit, and he is very concerned for our extended family. He asked us to pray that God would open their understanding to the "real gospel message." Okay, I'm sure Jordan is concerned also, Austin just has a different way of expressing his concern. I'm so encouraged to see the spiritual growth that my boys are experiencing. What an awesome privelage for us as parents. They are showing such an interest in biblical truths, writing things down as we discuss them. I take no credit for this, it is all a work of the Holy Spirit. I'm just thankful to be a part of this great plan. To God be the glory.

I'm so that this was such a long post. I'm not even sure that I expressed what I am feeling right. I hope you were able to follow my thoughts. Sometimes, I just tend to ramble. UGH!!!

God bless. Posted by Picasa

I forgot to add this thought. Austin was very concerned with knowing where this verse is located. He kept asking "where is that verse about not by works." I have a feeling it was because of something that he was told while with his grandparents. He was very excited when we gave hime the information. Here is the verse. I thought is was great that he remembered something we'd talked about in the past (especially because he is so very active and you are never sure that he is hearing your words), he just needed some help in finding it. It was real cute to see him try and look it up alone.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith, and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God, not by works so that no one can boast. (NIV)

I just keep thinking of this. Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.
Proverbs 22:6.

3 comments:

Grafted Branch said...

Thanks for the "heads-up" on the catechism book. I was just thinking about suggesting that to Husband! Timing is everything. God is so good.

What a blessing to read about your son's discretion -- what a wise boy.

God bless you all. What is UPC? (Is that the acronym you've used in the past to describe your church/denomination?)

Heather said...

Amen! We did catechism in my christian school when I was 8. I still remember a good bit of it!! I would like to use it for my children as well!

Heather said...

PS...you are doing a wonderful job :)