Saturday, August 11, 2007

My Young Man

"You know Dad, culture is so affected by Hollywood, and that is why I don't like this movie" quote by Jordan Myers 8-4-07

Here is the story that goes along with the fabulous quote.

Last weekend was our town festival. We went up town a couple of different times for different things. Jordan decided not to go at all. He just would rather stay at home most days. Okay at any rate. On Saturday evening Rob took the boys to a BMX bike show, then they came home and Rob and I went back up town alone. Okay, well we rented a few DVD's because we had free coupons. Well, most generally we watch new movies together, that way if we deem it unsuitable we can turn it off, and this week we let them watch a movie we'd not seen. It sounded harmless enough, and it really wasn't that bad, however, I'll not be recommending it to anyone to watch. Well, Jordan evidently didn't enjoy the movie. Austin and Zach thought it was okay, and wanted me to watch it with them. And I did, on Sunday evening. So we watched it, it wasn't a bad movie, but the line of thinking was so off the wall it was crazy. WEll, I guess I should say it was off the wall to us. It was very humanistic. Jordan didn't stay in the living room while we watched it, he went an played football in his own room. He kept telling me it is just a baby movie, it was stupid things like that. Well, Rob and I and the 2 younger ones, just kind of laughed at the absurdity of the thinking in the movie. You know the kind were magic can happen, you can see the future, you can shape your own destiny. And when the movie ended with the little girl changing the future, Rob said this to me. "Now I know why Jordan didn't like the movie and said to me, "You know Dad, culture is so affected by Hollywood, and that is why I don't like movies like this." I kind of had to laugh at this thought that my 13 year old would come to. He has such a thinking mind, he thinks big things of God, he abhors hearing things like "you can create your own destiny, you are in control of you life." It made me realize how blessed I am to have a young man that has such high regard for all things Holy and acceptable in Gods sight. Now I don't claim him to be a perfect child by any means. I just am so in awe that God would give me such a "deep thinking" child. He is definately not the "norm" when it comes to 13 year olds. Now, on many levels he is, but God has definately placed in him a deep desire to serve the Lord and learn more, and a love for things of God.



I could go on and on. But I must clean my house. It is an awful reck. I start my new job on Monday, and this is my weekend off. I am totally free from work this weekend. I have no keys to any store. I turned in my set yesterday for the old store, and then on Monday is when I get my new stores keys.

5 comments:

Heather said...

Wow, you are one blessed mama. That is a pretty profound statement for a young man of 13. Thank you so much for sharing about it. :) Heather

Dana said...

How great for Jordan!!!!

And congrats on the promotion!!!

staceyhoff said...

congrats, for both evidences of God's goodness to you & your family~ your new promotion and, sweetest of all, the beautiful dividends you are seeing now from gospel-centered parenting!! So happy for you all and so proud too:) xoxoxo's

Robin said...

Hey girl! How's the new job and all that travel time going? Time for a new post, please. :)

Cherlyn said...

What a blessing!